[MlMt] 143 or 993 . . . and security

Marc ARC MailMate at arcict.com
Thu Jan 23 04:35:22 EST 2020

Hello,

In our process of reducing our vulnerabilities, we are trying to figure
out which are the best, most secure connection options.

In the process of trimming our server ports we are confronted with
choices to make.

At first we thought we’ll use port 993 since this is secure. But then
we realised that port 143 can also be secure with StartTLS.
Or is 993 better since it secures before communicating and is it future
proof ?

And with SMTP we are confronted with a choice 25 or 465 or 587 ? We
prefer 587 since it requires AUTH . . . but what about the security

We have been googling but can’t seem to find the mail between the
ports

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and reflections,

Marc