[MlMt] Feature request - sender addresses and simple anti-phishing

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Thu Jan 16 11:59:01 EST 2020

I just got a typical innocuous-seeming phishing email with a dubious
link. You’ve all probably seen this type of message:

> When I ran into this the other day I though of you. So I just wanted
> to share it with you http://…

Nope, not gonna click on that (elided) link!

The message used my wife’s name in the from field, but the actual
email address was not hers, e.g. “From: Ms. Parker <bad at bot.net>”. A
common phishing model targets names in a stolen address book using the
name (but not the real email) of the address book’s owner, and I have
received similar messages using other friends’ names. There’s not
much my friends can do about it after their address book has been
stolen.

Anyway, it’s not *that* hard to spot and avoid, but given the way
MailMate displays email senders in the message summary, I pretty much
have to open the message to verify. I would rather not even open such
messages when possible.

A simple fix might be to show the full contents of the From header. Is
there currently any way to show full email addresses in the message
summary. All I can see is “Ms. Parker”, not the obviously bogus
email address that is hiding behind the name. I couldn’t find anything
about adjusting/expanding the display of email addresses in the
documentation.

A more sophisticated would be to highlight senders that are already in
my address book (or, equivalently, to flag “unknown” senders).

Is there any access to the list of addresses from the “Mark as Not
Junk” button on messages with external image links?

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net