[MlMt] Activate MM through shortcut by opening it again doesn't work

Billy Youdelman billy at MIX.ORG
Thu Jan 9 22:26:34 EST 2020

Bill Cole wrote, quoting Robert M. Münch:

>> I use Stream Deck (physical shortcut deck) which allows to start an
>> application. Most OSX apps can be activated by opening them again if
>> they already run.
>>
>> MM isn’t activated, instead it behaves strange in that it looks
>> like a 2nd instance is launched but terminated after a short time.

> Is it possible that you have MM installed in 2 places?

Rather than saying installed, I would say another executable image
anywhere in the filesystem, and I do mean anywhere.

> I have found that if I leave full-image backups (e.g. CarbonCopy
> Cloner or SuperDuper) mounted permanently, macOS Launch Services can
> get confused about which copy of  an app is the right one to use. This
> can result in the behavior you describe.

Yes, correct.  Rebuilding LaunchServices will fix this for a while, but
not very long.  Things in unmounted disk images are not a problem, nor
are things in compressed (zipped) files.

Similarly, if you have an operating system installer anywhere in the
filesystem, and you try to download an updated copy, that will not get
saved to a separate file, your existing old installer will be
overwritten with the new one's data.

I will refrain from opining on all this, other than to say I am not
happy with it, at all.

ビリー ヨーデルマん
+1 310 839 7673
http://MIX.ORG/