[MlMt] Mystery messages being created…

Charlie Garrison charlie-lists at garrison.com.au
Sun Feb 9 17:41:56 EST 2020

On 8 Feb 2020, at 6:35, Sam Hathaway wrote:

> The short version is that there’s no way to do push notifications
> for IMAP accounts on iOS without their server logging into your
> account and keeping an IDLE connection open.

Which is why I use iOS client which keeps an IDLE connection; it works
"just fine" (or something similar with iOS background functionality). I
didn't bother looking into details of it; I tried it; it worked; I used
it.

> Many iOS email clients do this. It’s the price you pay for having
> timely push notifications.

FYI, I found Edison and Preside both provide iOS notifications, and
neither needs a central server with access to all my email. I have seen
other email clients since advertise similar functionality. No need to
give away access to all your email.

So yes, giving away access to all your email is one way to pay the
price. It's not a price I'm willing to pay, so I paid the price of
looking for alternatives with smart background handling.

-cng

--

     Charlie Garrison                   <charlie at garrison.com.au>
     Garrison Computer Services      <http://www.garrison.com.au>