[MlMt] Alias mailing list

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 10:48:10 EST 2020

On 9 Dec 2020, at 6:26, aisrael wrote:

> The answer to my question is probably obvious, but I could not find it
> in the forum archives :
>
> Can I create an alias for a mailing list directly in Mailmate, or
> should I do it in the Contacts (which I don’t use normally), or on
> the server?

It’s a reasonable question because many other email clients provide
their own integrated address books. MailMate simulates some of this by
indexing the email addresses from (a subset of) existing email messages,
but MailMate does not have its own address book. That means MailMate
only knows about addresses in the *messages* it has already seen, and
address groups are not readily captured that way.

To complete the functionality, MailMate uses the Contacts application
and its underlying database. You can see this in the MailMate
Preferences under the Composer tab which offers three options for
Auto-Completion, including “Contacts”.

This is a limitation since, like you and many others, I don’t rely on
the Mac’s Contacts application (or iCloud) to maintain my address
book. Personally, I use the Google Contacts system, but obviously there
are many options. Google Contacts supports the CardDAV protocol, and
LDAP servers are common, but MailMate does not integrate directly with
either of these yet.

The solution I have settled on for now is a third party app called
“Contacts Sync for Google Gmail” that supports one-way and full
duplex synchronization between Google Contacts, the local Mac Contacts
app (or iCloud Contacts).

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net