[MlMt] Can I view account password?

Thomas Eckhold Thomas at Eckhold.eu
Sun Aug 30 08:01:02 EDT 2020

On 30 Aug 2020, at 13:46, Thomas Bartlett via mailmate wrote:

> In the applications folder is a sub-folder called Utilities. In that
> sub-folder is an app called Keychain Access. When that app is opened,
> it shows on the dock an icon shaped like keys on a circular
> “chain.”  At the top of the left side column is the word
> “Keychains,” below which are five options:  Directory Services,
> login, iCloud, System, System Roots. After looking at them all, I
> opted for “login,” which is uniquely written in bold font; this
> displays a long list of keychain files. That is what I accessed.  Yes,
> there is another file, com.apple.Exchange.oauth-token with the same
> time stamp as the one mentioned in my earlier message, which shows an
> extremely long string of alphanumeric code.  When I select each of
> these two files, the file name is displayed in bold font in a header
> strip at the top of the window; the next line in the header says:
> “Kind: application password;” the third line says “Account:”
> following which is the username of my Hotmail account followed by @
> and then an alphanumeric string which must be 60 digits long. The
> first file that I opened, reported in my earlier message shows a
> header that is essentially identical, except that the extremely long
> alphanumeric string is completely different.
>
> So, if this is not what you meant,

I am not familiar with hotmail or Spark but MM stores the passwords used
(as far as I understand) as „Internet password“ based on the name of
the mailserver (my guess for hotmail would be: imap-mail.outlook.com).
The icon of such entry is a blue @. The information window of such a
file offers the option „Show password“. If you tick this box
keychain will ask you for your system password and/or keychain password.
Then it will „reveal“ the password stored in keychain. However, I do
not know if hotmail works that way.

Regards,

Thomas