[MlMt] pasting text from Word into a message

Sat Aug 29 03:19:43 EDT 2020

On 28 Aug 2020, at 23:43, Shoshanna Green wrote:

> I'm running version 1.13.2 (5712), and when I copy text in Word and paste it into a message composer window, it turns into an attached .png image rather than text.

I'm pretty sure that only happens because Word puts a png on the pasteboard as an alternative to the text. I guess that's a feature, but it's a bit weird...

> (Whereas if I copy text from
> TextEdit, it pastes into a message correctly.) If I paste text from Word as quoted text, with command-option-V, it does paste as text; but then I have to un-quote and reflow it.
>
> I know Word is the devil, but it's the unavoidable devil. How can I paste text from it into a message I'm composing? Or is this another in-progress feature/issue?

It's not a known issue, but it might be tricky to fix without breaking something else. I think the best is probably to add an explicit shortcut for pasting as text allowing the user to force MailMate to pick the text alternative. That would likely be ⌥⇧⌘V. I'll make a note of that.