[MlMt] Moving from Apple Mail to Mailmate

Alex Abdo alex at alexabdo.com
Wed Aug 26 16:45:49 EDT 2020

On 26 Aug 2020, at 16:24, Michael Nietzold wrote:

> If you really need a local storage:
>
>  - how about running a local imap server on your Mac?

This is what I do (dovecot), but as someone who isn’t as technically
savvy as it seems many or most people on this list are, it was a bit of
a learning curve. And every time I have to reinstall (new laptop, etc.),
I cross my fingers and hope it works again, knowing that I’m not sure
I could really debug any problems.

This is the guide I followed:
https://xdeb.org/post/2014/03/07/running-dovecot-as-a-local-only-imap-server-on-os-x/

That said, dovecot has been working great. I do wonder whether it ends
up wasting space by duplicating the mail stored on my laptop, because I
assume that MailMate retrieves all of the emails from dovecot and
creates another local cache?

One nice thing about having a local IMAP server, though, is that it
frees you up to once again use multiple clients without worrying about
which one has your locally stored emails. You can just point all of them
to your local IMAP server.