[MlMt] New Yahoo! Mail restrictions for 3rd party e-mail client access as of Oct. 20th 2020

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Wed Aug 26 05:08:38 EDT 2020

On 25 Aug 2020, at 12:17, Verdon Vaillancourt wrote:

> Application password should work.  I use this sort of mechanism for
> Apple account.
>
> On 25 Aug 2020, at 15:13, Greg Earle wrote:
>
>> Today I got an e-mail from Yahoo! with Subject: "Important security
>> notice for your Yahoo account".  It says that as of October 20, 2020
>>
>> "We’ve noticed that you’re using non-Yahoo applications (such as
>> third-party email, calendar, or contact applications) that may use a
>> less secure sign-in method.  To protect you and your data, Yahoo will
>> no longer support the current sign-in functionality in your
>> application starting on October 20, 2020.  This means that you will
>> need to take one of the steps below to continue using Yahoo Mail
>> without interruption."
>>
>> --
>>     If removing and re-adding your account does not work, generate a
>> third-party app password to access your account.
>> --

I don't have much experience with these, I have Duo Mobile on my phone
for a Dropbox account but at some point I got logged out of my Dropbox
account on my home machine somehow, and it (the Duo Mobile app) stopped
working and I couldn't get back into Dropbox anymore.  (Luckily it was
still working/logged in on my work machine so I could migrate all my
Dropbox files to One Drive.)

I guess I'm a little concerned that the same thing might happen here,
plus the extreme annoyance of having to have my phone on me to access an
e-mail account I rarely use.

Anyway thanks for the answer, I guess I was more wondering if any
changes to MailMate might be necessary to adapt to this change.

		- Greg