[MlMt] New Yahoo! Mail restrictions for 3rd party e-mail client access as of Oct. 20th 2020

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Tue Aug 25 15:13:34 EDT 2020

All:

I use MailMate for all of my e-mail accounts, including a throwaway
Yahoo! Mail account I only use for external verification of other
accounts and a few mailing list subs from shopping sites.

Today I got an e-mail from Yahoo! with Subject: "Important security
notice for your Yahoo account".  It says that as of October 20, 2020

"We’ve noticed that you’re using non-Yahoo applications (such as
third-party email, calendar, or contact applications) that may use a
less secure sign-in method.  To protect you and your data, Yahoo will no
longer support the current sign-in functionality in your application
starting on October 20, 2020.  This means that you will need to take one
of the steps below to continue using Yahoo Mail without interruption."

It lists 3 different options, including one to "keep your current,
non-Yahoo app", but you'll have to "follow a few steps to get it in sync
with our secure sign-in method".

Anyway, for specific instructions for using "Others" e-mail clients,
there is a link to this page:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/SLN27791.html?impressions=true

where it has these non-helpful suggestions:

--
     If possible, use the Yahoo Mail app or mail.yahoo.com. Since Yahoo
owns these services, we can ensure you're always using the most secure

     If you'd prefer to continue using your non-Yahoo email application,
try removing and re-adding your account.  Look for the Yahoo logo when
you go to set it up again to activate the secure sign-in method.

     If removing and re-adding your account does not work, generate a
third-party app password to access your account.
--

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to continue using MailMate with these
new restrictions after October 20.