[MlMt] Is MailMate susceptible to this vulnerability? CVE-2020-11879 CVE-2020-11880 CVE-2020-4089

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Fri Aug 21 13:53:06 EDT 2020

On 20 Aug 2020, at 11:38, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> Just a quick review: The paper does not state the version of MailMate
> used for the tests and the public release of MailMate does not behave
> as described in the paper.  The paper describes three issues labelled
> A1-A3.

Benny:

According to CVE-2020-12619

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2020-12619

--
Description

MailMate before 1.11 automatically imported S/MIME certificates and
thereby silently replaced existing ones.  This allowed a
man-in-the-middle attacker to obtain an email-validated S/MIME
certificate from a trusted CA and replace the public key of the entity
to be impersonated.  This enabled the attacker to decipher further
communication.  The entire attack could be accomplished by sending a
single email.
--

Even though this is a different CVE than the ones mentioned in the ZDNET
article, maybe this is where they got the version of MailMate used in

(How do they come up with this stuff?  I mean, who the heck is even
using MailMate 1.10 or earlier anymore?)

		- Greg