[MlMt] VPN conflicts

Peter Borsella peter.borsella at winnowmanagement.com
Tue Sep 24 15:04:03 EDT 2019

RE PIA, this is news to me, Scott, thank you!  (Even shocking, as you
say.). Did you find a VPN service that you found more consistent?

On 23 Sep 2019, at 19:08, Scott wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>

> On 24 September 2019, at 0427, Peter Borsella wrote:
>
>> Hello, Shoshanna,
>>
>> I’ve gone ahead and submitted the whitelisting requests to PIA, but
>> while waiting for that I also ran a quick experiment of simply
>> changing the VPN server, and voila, my email went out!
>>
>> Thanks again.  More reinforcement is needed, but that’s in
>> progress.
>

> Whilst we're slightly veering off course from MailMate, I will chime
> in here as I went through a similar headache and it might be useful
> for those trawling the archives in the future to have something else
> to check.
>
> From what you've reported, Peter, my sense is that you MAY have
> encountered the same issue I did with PIA, and is part of why I ceased
> using them and will not use them again in the future.
>
> PIA does not route all of your packets via the same path.
>
> The destination port plays a part in the routing decisions that PIA
> makes for which exit-node to send your VPN'd packets through.
>
> What this means in very simple terms is that even if you're connected
> to a PIA endpoint in, say, Ontario, Canada, not all of your network
> traffic will *actually* go through PIA's Ontario locations.
>
> Depending on the destination *port* of the activity you are
> generating, you may find that PIA will route your traffic via Europe
> or some other unexpected destination.
>
> Many of the most popular ports, such as 80 and 443 for web traffic
> will definitely go via the advertised endpoint, but, other ports,
> including those which may be associated with SMTP and IMAP (such as
> for email), or anything running on "non standard" ports, may not be.
>
> I had a very long, and very frustrating, back and forth discussion
> with PIA about this, but, this is a feature of their platform.
>
> From what I gathered, it's also somewhat dependent upon the VPN
> endpoint you may select...in other words, not all endpoints may do
> this destination-port based re-routing of your packets.
>
> Therefore, your disconnecting and reconnecting to another VPN server
> could well fit in with the above.
>
> It was actually using MailMate which helped me figure this out about
> PIA...whilst trying to connect to some private mail servers, and
> running into connectivity and authentication woes, I noticed that the
> IP address of the inbound connection was NOT the IP address of my VPN
> connection.
>
> If you have your own Internet accessible server, this is pretty
> trivial to test yourself - I just ran a tcpdump on my destination
> server, and from my PIA VPN'd machine, ran a series of nmap sessions,
> for all ports, 1-65535, TCP and UDP.
>
> The results were shocking (horrifying for me), with loads of traffic
> being routed via AS43350 (NForce, Netherlands) even though my chosen
> VPN endpoint was on the other side of the world - but, again, it
> wasn't all ports, but certainly a huge number of them.

> [...]

Peter Borsella, President
**Winnow Management**
PO Box 1046
Pompano Beach, FL 33061
Office:	954-784-3674
Mobile:	954-253-3761
Fax:		954-301-5829
@pborsella

Now available, Certified ScrumMaster for Industry!  Head to our website
for our full class schedule and early registration pricing!
http://www.winnowmanagement.com

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This email and any associated files contain
confidential, proprietary and privileged information and unauthorized
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this email in error
please notify the sender and delete this email from your system.