[MlMt] VPN conflicts

Peter Borsella peter.borsella at winnowmanagement.com
Mon Sep 23 10:51:09 EDT 2019

Two suggestions I hadn’t considered, Shoshanna, thank you!  I’ll get
that support ticket out to PIA, and will try simply switching to a
different VPN server.

On 23 Sep 2019, at 10:30, Shoshanna Green wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2019, at 9:38, Peter Borsella wrote:
>
>> I’m using the PIA (Private Internet Access) tool.  And, my problem
>> is indeed related to outbound traffic, with Mailmate telling me that
>> it can’t send messages, leaving them for re-attempts in my Draft
>> folder.  I then turn on the VPN, close Mailmate, launch again, the
>> mail goes out without a hitch.
>
> I too use PIA as my VPN (excellent, would recommend). You may need to
> ask PIA to whitelist your SMTP server; contact their support. (See
> https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/kb/articles/why-can-t-i-send-email-when-on-the-vpn.)
>
> I use Gmail, and despite PIA having whitelisted the relevant servers,
> I do occasionally find that email won't go out. I just switch to a
> different VPN server and try again, and it invariably works. I expect
> that Google switches things around unpredictably behind the scenes,
> and PIA can't always keep up. You could try similarly switching
> servers before asking PIA for help.
>
> As a last resort, you don't need to quit and relaunch Mailmate, by the
> way (I assume you meant "turn off the VPN" rather than "turn on the
> VPN"). Quitting the VPN will allow mail to go through if the problem
> is indeed due to the VPN blocking SMTP traffic.
>
> Shoshanna Green
> shoshannag at gmail.com

Peter Borsella, President
**Winnow Management**
PO Box 1046
Pompano Beach, FL 33061
Office:	954-784-3674
Mobile:	954-253-3761
Fax:		954-301-5829
@pborsella

Now available, Certified ScrumMaster for Industry!  Head to our website
for our full class schedule and early registration pricing!
http://www.winnowmanagement.com

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This email and any associated files contain
confidential, proprietary and privileged information and unauthorized
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this email in error
please notify the sender and delete this email from your system.