[MlMt] Grouping mailing lists

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Wed Sep 11 09:57:00 EDT 2019

On 11 Sep 2019, at 15:26, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> Have you tried without tagging? Here are more or less the steps to
> follow:
>
> 1. create a mailbox “mailinglists”
> 2. on the tab “mailboxes” check the checkbox “include messages
> in any submailboxes of this mailbox”
> 3. inside this mailbox, create a separate smart mailbox for each of
> your mailing lists
> 4. create a mailbox “new mail”
> 5. set the “mailboxes” tab to have
>    all of the following mailboxes
>       All Messages (or Inbox)
>       None of the following mailboxes
>          Mailing lists
> I hope the indentation carries through properly as it is critical.

It did, though you might find the markdown syntax useful:

https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet#lists

Though I've found the preview function so sluggish, I generally have it
disabled. Mind you, I've been using plaintext markup for **years**.
:roll: ;-)

> 6. You can set on the “Conditions” tab “Message not Read” to
> see only unread messages
>
> The “New Mail” mailbox should show all your mail except those that
> are in your mailinglists.

Yes, I worked that out. But I was looking for a way of doing this
without creating a slew of new mailboxes, ie. sticking as close to what
I'm used to as possible. The way Opera Mail does this very similar to
MailMate but I'd argue slightly more intuitive, though it's more
restricted in other ways, such as being able to create views from a
search.
![](cid:CE66F5CC-B44D-4C4B-AB58-5844DBF16DDD at begeistert.org
"Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-11 um 15.50.50.png")

The current setup is to create folders (smart mailboxes without
criteria) and add individual lists to these (find isn't brilliant for
these). These can then be excluded from the catch all mailing list.

> For 2 and 3, you can use the simpler setup suggested earlier if your
> mailinglists are uniform and can be all identified within a single
> smart mailbox. In my case, for some lists I use List-Id, for others
> from-address, for others to-address, for some I need to additionally
> check for an identifier in the subject.

Fortunately, all the ones I have can be correctly identified via a
list-id header, though auto-completion doesn't work that well.

Still, given that I only started with the program on Monday, I'm really
enjoying it. :-)

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark