[MlMt] mailmate Digest, Vol 102, Issue 10

Harvey S. Leff hsleff at cpp.edu
Wed Sep 11 00:33:01 EDT 2019

Thanks Bill for the very helpful information.
Harvey (Portland, Oregon, USA)
~ ~ ~

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 09:38:26 -0400
From: "Bill Cole" <mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com>
To: "MailMate Users" <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
Subject: Re: [MlMt] Filtering junk mail

On 10 Sep 2019, at 0:02, Harvey S. Leff wrote:

I've been receiving multiple messages daily from China. Their text is
in Chinese and there are no images. I don't even know what they are
selling. The return addresses follow a pattern. Two recent messages
are from jdeefs1045 at 126.com and vsuayyn221346 at 163.com.

For what it's worth: 126.com and 163.com are 2 of the freemail domains
run by NetEase, a major Chinese tech company. Unless you have personal
acquaintances in China, you are unlikely to ever receive legitimate mail
from users in either domain. Those domains are bit like China's analogs
to hotmail.com and live.com.

They do go into my Junk mailbox, but I don't know a way to filter
these messages further. Examination of their raw messages show they
were both received by a server, ajax-webmail-wmsvr124 (Coremail).

That hostname pattern in the oldest Received header of messages is
typical of NetEase webmail, which uses the Chinese webmail server
software Coremail.

However, if I search my mailboxes for this name, nothing is found, so
it appears that I cannot create a smart mailbox to snag these
messages. Any ideas?

1. Filtering on the freemail domains (126.com and 163.com) is likely to
be more generally useful.

2. That specific name is one of hundreds (maybe thousands) of
similarly-named webmail servers that handle all of the NetEase freemail
domains, their business customers, and their own corporate email. It's
mildly interesting that your junk all hits that one server but possibly
just a coincidence.

3. MM by default just searches "Common Headers and Unquoted Text" which
does not include Received headers. You can change that to search any
specific header in the Conditions section of the Smart Mailbox editing
window, wbhere each condition has a drop-down menu listing the Most
common headers to seearch and "Other..." which opens a selection window
allowing you to choose literally any header MM has ever seen.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org