[MlMt] How to Set Message Priority

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Sep 1 17:51:23 EDT 2019

On 1 Sep 2019, at 15:02, Bruce Lynn wrote:

> Hello Fellow MailMate Enthusiasts,
>
> Is there a way to set the priority of an email for the receiver. For
> most of my life I have used Thunderbird or Apple Mail and both allowed
> me to set a Priority for the sender’s benefit.

The assertion that it is a benefit to anyone for a sender to set a
message's priority is questionable but you can do it if you really want
to...

> In Apple Mail I had the choice of High, Normal and Low. I have
> searched before posting but could not discover how to accomplish this
> task.

It has been discussed here before, in the thread starting here:
https://lists.freron.com/mailmate/2014-April/002546.html

Note that whichever of the available non-standard (but variously
client-supported) header(s) you choose for setting the purported
priority/importance of a message, there is no guarantee that it will get
any attention or that the attention it gets will be the sort that you
want. For example: I have found that mail with such headers is so
uniformly spam that it is not worth wasting my mail server's limited
resources handling it.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org