[MlMt] Autocrypt?

Alex Abdo alex at alexabdo.com
Fri Oct 18 11:20:54 EDT 2019

Hi Benny and all,

I’m wondering whether there’s any chance that Mailmate will
implement Autocrypt? Thunderbird and a few other mail clients now
implement it.

https://autocrypt.org

Here’s how the website describes it:

> Autocrypt is a set of guidelines for developers to achieve convenient
> end-to-end-encryption of e-mails. It specifies how e-mail programs
> negotiate encryption capabilities using regular e-mails.

As I understand it (at least when it is used with PGP), it stuffs your
public key in a header on outgoing messages, along with your preference
of whether to receive encrypted emails, so that other Autocrypt-enabled
clients can then take your key and also decide whether to follow your
preference re: receiving encrypted email.

Seems like a worthwhile project, and from talking with one of the
developers, I don’t get the sense it is complicated to implement
(although I don’t have much basis for judging that).

Thanks!
Alex