[MlMt] sluggist Mailmate - how to optimise?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Oct 4 14:39:15 EDT 2019

On 4 Oct 2019, at 14:01, Jason Davies wrote:

> I accidentally have an update on this.
>

> Firstly, OMM switching off 'Recipient headers' in 'Auto-completion
> Sources' did seem to speed Mailmate up, but it didn't speed *me* up
> because I discovered how much I rely on it;)

You can get part of the benefit for little cost by tuning the contents
of the mailbox being used for auto-completion. For example, instead of
using the default "Sent Messages" mailbox, I use a smart mailbox that
contains only messages from Sent Messages that are less than a year old.
This also improves the quality of auto-completion, so I don't have a
dozen minor (display name) variants of the same wrong address as the top
hits. With mailing lists increasingly moving to "munged" From headers,
this is a growing problem for me.

> Switching in back on left me with some delays (but as I said, I think,
> I've improved my hardware and it's improved the delays). However at
> some point Mailmate just got locked this afternoon and after an hour I
> had to not only force-quit it but eventually force shut-down the whole
> mac, which wouldn't restart.

That sounds like a problem much larger than MM, e.g. corrupted
filesystem or flaky disk.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org