[MlMt] sync bug

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Nov 19 13:33:10 EST 2019

On 18 Nov 2019, at 13:44, Alain Israel wrote:

> This weekend when I launched Mailmate, I got the following warning
> (attached). All my mailboxes (and I have a great number) got
> desynchronized, and take forever (and even more) to resynchronize (and
> I suspect I will get the same problem the next time I launch
> Mailmate).

Probably not.

UIDVALIDITY is a tag used by an IMAP server to alert clients when the
UID values for messages in a mailbox may have changed. Nothing a client
like MM does can cause a mailbox's UIDVALIDITY value to change and when
that value changes there is no reliable strategy for a client other than
to fully resynch the mailbox.

The most common reason for UIDVALIDITY to change is if a server has had
some sort of failure that required a rebuild of mailboxes. For Exchange
servers, it also is rumored to happen whenever the mail admin sneezes.

> What is the best solution to solve the problem? Reinstall Mailmate?
> Anything else?

No, do not reinstall MailMate. MailMate didn't cause this and cannot
prevent it.

> My other mail clients seem to work OK.
>
> Importantly, the same problem happened when I opened Mailmate on 2
> different computers.

Any IMAP client that maintains a persistent local cache of messages MUST
invalidate that cache when the UIDVALIDITY value of a mailbox changes
from what the client last saw. Some clients do not maintain such a cache
and many that do won't bother alerting the user when they need to do a
full resynch.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org