[MlMt] Keyboard shortcut "Single Key Read"?

Andreas Borutta borumat at gmx.de
Tue Nov 12 03:26:13 EST 2019

Travis Risner via mailmate:

> I have found that if I choose the general/universal inbox, I can then
> option-command down arrow to move to the next unread message.  Yes,
> pressing it again will go to the next unread message rather than paging
> down, but I consider this an advantage.  It lets me skip from a short or
> boring message directly to the next.

I like and use the optional command "Jump to the beginning of the next
unread message" too. For the same reason like you: when a message is
boring.
But my highest priority of all functions of a mail client is indeed
the single read key. Just because I use it thousand of times.

That's as well the reason that for such a command I regard only a
keyboard shortcut as acceptable which uses one key and not
additionally a meta key or arrow key.

Further I prefer it not use "one big mailbox for all messages". So I
need the single read key working in the normal mailboxes.

In other words:
When the command stops at the last unread message in one Mailbox and
forces the user to manually switch to the next mailbox (with a special
keyboard shortcut), it does not work for me.

I really do not stop using "one single key for reading".

> I tried to find where this is documented but I didn't see it in MM help,
> the MM manual, in MM preferences, system preferences, or in the
> "defaults" settings.  Since I don't know where this is set (or how I got
> it to work), it may not work for you.
>
> BTW, Thunderbird allows one to transfer an email to a local folder.  MM
> does not.  Thus just looking through the MM inbox gets to all unread
> messages available to MM.  (I use both programs just so I can transfer
> emails to local folders.  Other than that, I consider MM superior to
> Thunderbird.)

My impression of MM is very good too. I bought the license 2 years
ago. But as long as I can't realize a single read key I cannot switch
from  Thunderbird to MM.

Yes, local folders are a nice concept of TB. But it has not the same
rank for me as such usability features as "single read key".

But I'm patient :)
May be Benny likes my suggestion.

Andreas
--