[MlMt] Styles.plist and dark mode

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Tue May 21 10:32:37 EDT 2019

For those who haven’t yet delved into MailMate’s “hidden”
preferences, I just want to note that some minor tweaking in
~/Library/Application\ Support/MailMate/Styles.plist can make a very big
difference in the UI experience.

In the more recent versions of MailMate, the application automatically
adopts a “dark” mode if the System Preferences (under
General/Appearance) are set that way.  While that’s generally a good
thing, at least to my eye, it almost eliminates the visible impact of
showing unread messages with a bold font in the message list.  The key
issue is that bold white text on a gray background does not stand out
from the un-bolded text the way it does when the foreground/background
are reversed.  I tend to keep messages marked as unread for a while, so
it’s important for me to be able to visually fish them out of the
ocean of other messages (preferably without losing the overall context
of the message list by switching to an alternate view).

This is my personal Styles.plist, which one must create in the
~/Library/Application\ Support/MailMate directory.

     {   styles = (
             {   type = keyword;
                 keyword = '\\Flagged';
                 color = "#FF6666";
             },
             {   type = keyword;
                 keyword = '\\Seen';
                 color = "#888888";
             },
         );
     }

Knocking the brightness of messages flagged as “Seen” down to 50%
gray (“#888888”) does not make them invisible, but the lower
contrast is a bit easier on the eyes, and it clearly distinguishes them
from the few unread messages floating around.  Likewise, flagged
messages get a real visibility bump with a light red color
(“#FF6666”).  The styles work together nicely, making unread and
flagged messages both bold and red, so they really scream out for
attention.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net