[MlMt] “Notarized” test release of MailMate

Mon Mar 25 10:27:46 EDT 2019

Hi MailMate users,

the latest test release of MailMate is the first one which has a
so-called “hardened runtime”. This allows it to be notarized by
Apple resulting in the following to be shown when new users open
MailMate for the first time:

![](cid:F4BB4190-6CF2-45AD-BABA-A4E43183D58C at freron.com "Screenshot
2019-03-25 at 14.04.17.png")

(The usual one has a yellow warning triangle.)

Apple writes about notarization
[here](https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution),
but it's written for developers. Most users just need to know that
notarization means that before each release I upload a copy to Apple.
They make some automated checks and report back when it has been
accepted/rejected.

The hardened runtime means that MailMate cannot access resources for
which I have not explicitly requested MailMate to be able to access. For
example, MailMate can no longer, in any way, access the camera, because
I have not requested such access in the so-called list of entitlements.
For now, MailMate only requests access to Contacts, Calendar, and
AppleScript. The user is still explicitly asked about access and access
can be declined by the user (just like before).

Most of the above is only relevant on Mojave.

Now, MailMate is a complex beast and it's very likely I've made
mistakes. I have also not tested that it does not break anything on
macOS releases before Mojave (in theory, it shouldn't be a problem...).

In case of any issues, the last test release without the hardened
runtime can be fetched here:
http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r5620.tbz

And yes, I will hopefully soon get around to answering mailing list
emails :)

---
Technical details:

If you want to test this from scratch then you need to explicitly
download MailMate here:
http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r5622.tbz

You also need to reset existing MailMate permissions like this:

	tccutil reset All com.freron.MailMate

(This affects what you see in the “Security & Privacy ▸ Privacy”
pane of System Preferences.)