[MlMt] Smart Mailboxes and column selection

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Mar 8 15:53:33 EST 2019

On 8 Mar 2019, at 13:48, Randall Meadows wrote:

> I'm pretty certain that all my Smart Mailboxes used to show the From:
> column.  Currently, they are all showing the To: column; duh, I know
> who the messages are to.  Yes, I can add the From: column manually,
> but I'm unable to remove the To: column (it's disabled in the pop-up
> menu).

That probably means that it has been set to be the "Outline Column,"
i.e. the column that is used to express thread structure. MM won't let
you hide that column, but it will let you pick any other curren tly
visible column.

> Anyone know what caused this change, and how I can get back to the way
> the mailboxes displayed yesterday?!

There is a long-lived bug in setting and saving mailbox display
preferences. I don't know what exactly triggers it, but once it hits the
only *reliable* way I know to fix it is to reset all of your mailbox
display preferences:

1. Quit MM
2. In a Terminal window, run this command:

		defaults delete com.freron.MailMate MmMailboxRelatedStates

3. Relaunch MM and grumble as you tweak all the display preferences back
to what you want.

> Also, am I really unable to set default column configurationD for
> Smart Mailboxes?  That option is also dimmed in the pop-up menu...

Which indicates that MM *thinks* the window is already using the default
columns. When the aforementioned bug bites, that can be wrong.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org