[MlMt] Review muted items

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Jan 31 11:11:12 EST 2019

On 31 Jan 2019, at 10:28, John Cooper wrote:

> Is there a way to review all muted addresses (or whatever identifier
> is used to determine muted threads)?

Based on experiences with threads 'de-muting' and a little testing,  it
is my understanding that MM muting is dependent on IMAP keywords (i.e.
"Raw Flags") and threading, which is reliant on the "In-Reply-To" and/or
"References" headers (I'm not sure if both are used...) A message is
muted if it is a thread descendant of a muted message. The muted state
of a message is stored as the $Muted keyword. When you change the muted
state of a message, its replies and their replies are changed
recursively. When a message is newly seen, its place in its thread is
determined and if it is a reply to a muted message, it gets muted.

A side-effect of this is that if you delete all members of a muted
thread, future replies in the thread are not muted. I see this is as a
feature, others might deem it a bug.