[MlMt] Abandoning a mail account--how to keep old messages?

Wed Jan 30 08:28:34 EST 2019

On 27 Jan 2019, at 1:43, Bill Cole wrote:

> Yes. However, if you want to keep them accessible to MM, you can just
> set the account 'offline' and maybe even break the server settings for
> it to make sure nothing ever pops up at that address listening for
> connections eager to authenticate. Just make sure to never ask MM to
> rebuild the datyabase b y re-downloading everything.

This is also one of the main reasons MailMate does not support local
mailboxes. It makes it more likely that a user is faced by data loss in
case a MailMate bug destroys the database. This risk makes me nervous :)

*If* local mailboxes return to MailMate some day then it'll be more like
having MailMate index the content of a hierarchy of disk folders (like
when exporting emails from MailMate using “Command ▸ Export to
Folder”). This would make it easy for the user to re-add the emails to
MailMate in case of a database rebuild. Some day...