[MlMt] Abandoning a mail account--how to keep old messages?

Tobias Jung nd at tobiasjung.net
Sat Jan 26 07:57:27 EST 2019

On 26 Jan 2019, at 5:38, Dave C wrote:

> I’d like to keep a copy of these. Is there a way?

Ian’s solution is probably the fastest and easiest way, and the best
if you want to keep the messages in MailMate.

However, when I wanted to get rid of a few accounts recently, I didn’t
want to stuff 10.000+ old messages (that I might want to *read* again
but surely won’t *reply* to them anymore) into one of my current
accounts. For me, it was enough to be able access them once in a while
so I decided to use a different application for this.

For various reasons, I chose EagleFiler which costs US$ 40.
A free solution which *should* work (but I didn’t try that) is to
export the messages from MailMate as mbox file and import them using a
free mail client like Apple Mail or Thunderbird. You’ll need the
[ImportExportTool](https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/)
for the latter.

Kind regards,
Tobias