[MlMt] Alternate mail service

Alexandru Nedelcu groups7 at alexn.org
Tue Jan 22 12:10:23 EST 2019

I don't really like ProtonMail.

I have several personal domains and the habit of using an email address per online service. And ProtonMail gets to be expensive for multiple domains or email addresses.

They also smell like snake oil in their advertisement. That email will only be end-to-end encrypted if you're communicating with other ProtonMail users or maybe with users with public PGP keys (afaik they do PGP too). That's a minority. In all other cases ProtonMail's servers will see your incoming and outgoing emails in clear text, because that's just how email works, not to mention all of the metadata for encrypted email too. Your archive might be encrypted later, but nothing stops a security agency from actively listening on your communication.

Having some encryption is better then no encryption of course, but I fear that this creates a false sense of security, when users could use more secure alternatives for sensitive messages, like Signal. So the way I see it, having to install a "bridge" on your computer for regular email clients is not reasonable given the benefits.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019, at 10:10 PM, Dave C wrote:

> Having issues with Gmail and I’m looking for a new “post office”.
>

> I like ProtonMail which offers encryption.
>
> You install a “bridge” daemon(?) on your computer in the background and it handles en/decryption locally and IMAP interface to mail clients:
>
> https://protonmail.com/bridge/
>
> This bridge option requires the paid mail subscription (€/$48 and up per year).
>
> ProtonMail mobile apps available.
>
> Any MM users have ProtonMail service? How do you like it?
>
> Dave

Alexandru Nedelcu
alexn.org