[MlMt] Problem downloading Gmail archive

Mon Jan 21 09:35:29 EST 2019

On 20 Jan 2019, at 9:03, Alexandru Nedelcu wrote:

> I have a Gmail archive of over 30,000 emails.
>
> While setting it up in Mailmate, I subscribed to "All Mail", but not
> to the
> various labels I have in Gmail. What happened is that Mailmate failed
> download all of my email. It only downloaded about 16,000 emails,
> which is
> about half.
>
> I then selected all of the labels I have and it eventually downloaded
> 30,531 emails. Is it all of them? I have no idea.

It can be very tricky to verify Gmail message counts. The webmail
interface only counts threads (last time I checked).

> So why this behavior? Shouldn't it have been downloading everything
> when I
> subscribed to "All Mail"?

MailMate should download the messages in “All Mail” which it doesn't
expect to download in other IMAP folders. For example, a sent email
should only be shown (by MailMate) in the “[Gmail]/Sent Mail”
mailbox and not in “All Mail”. I've written a bit about what
MailMate does to handle Gmail
[here](https://manual.mailmate-app.com/account_setup#gmail).

For debugging, I need you to first locate a specific email unexpectedly
not showing up anywhere in MailMate for your Gmail account.