[MlMt] Lost tags?

Fri Jan 18 10:02:14 EST 2019

On 16 Jan 2019, at 15:05, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2019, at 10:12, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On 11 Jan 2019, at 17:25, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>>
>>> In cases where MM can detect servers that don't support persisting
>>> IMAP keywords, it would sure be useful if that could be indicated to
>>> the user in some form.  I know for a fact our corporate IMAP server
>>> doesn't support them, but for my other accounts I'm not sure.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> It's not obvious how/when to best do this, but I'll give it some
>> thought (which I haven't really ever done). For example, the user
>> might have added a tag to a message in one account and then later
>> moved it to an account without support for IMAP keywords. Also,
>> servers always support, e.g., `\Flagged` which means that any tag
>> bound to this does work even when other tags do not.
>>
> I would check whether a given server supports tags when a new IMAP
> source is being added and keep that as a setting/property for that
> account within MM, displaying user a warning when the account is
> added. I’d also add a user setting whether to display further
> warnings or not.

That's the simple solution, but as I tried to argue then it's not as
simple as that. Mailboxes within the same account can have different
policies. Servers/mailboxes may support different sets of IMAP keywords.
Messages might be moved from one account to another. I really think it's
best to somehow make each tag stand out for a single message when there
is a synchronization-limitation. And then somehow make it easy for the
user to see why it stands out.

(Anything is really better than the current silent handling/failure.)