[MlMt] Beta vs. Release version

Wed Jan 16 04:40:56 EST 2019

On 11 Jan 2019, at 22:55, Sherman Wilcox wrote:

> Is there any compelling reason to use, or perhaps more importantly not
> use, the beta versions of MailMate at this point?

The “beta” setting in the Software Update preferences pane is pretty
safe since I very rarely release betas. I tend to use test releases,
because they require the user to actively choose to update. People do
not like when an unexpected update (even if labelled beta) suddenly
makes them unable to handle emails.

If you mean the 2.0BETA then the release notes lists the (relatively
few) differences to 1.9.x. The disadvantage of 2.0BETA is that most test
releases are only released for 1.9.x (if you like frequent updates).

The above is not a deliberate strategy. It's just how it happens to be
at this point. Hopefully, 2019 will be the year where I get back to 1
branch of MailMate.