[MlMt] Mailbox count = Recent doesn't match server's \Recent count

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Mon Jan 14 13:04:21 EST 2019

>> It counts emails having the IMAP `\Recent` flag. This is not as
>> useful as it might seem to be.
>
> Exactly; the IMAP \Recent flag is not much use.

Aside from the fact that the IMAP \Recent flag is not inherently useful,
the MailMate displayed count does not match what the server says.  All
my mailboxes show non-zero counts when the counter is set to "Recent,"
but as a test I used telnet to connect to my server and SELECT a mailbox
that MailMate displays "215" when the counter is set to Recent.  When I
SELECT that mailbox, the server reports 0 Recent:

* FLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Recent \Answered \Flagged \Draft $MDNSent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Answered \Flagged \Draft
$MDNSent)] OK
* 657 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 91] first unseen message