[MlMt] Lost tags?

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 11:25:07 EST 2019

On 11 Jan 2019, at 10:46, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 8 Jan 2019, at 1:22, Randall Meadows wrote:
>
>> Is there a known issue with messages completely losing their tags?  I
>> just went to add a tag to a message, and discovered that ALL my
>> previously-tagged messages no longer had any tags (e.g., the Tagged
>> smart mailbox was empty).  (Version 1.12.3 (5579), but I have no idea
>> when this happened.)
>
> There are known issues with any IMAP servers having issues or lack of
> support for IMAP keywords. Usually, this means that the tags become
> local-only, for example, they are lost if rebuilding the database.

Oooh, thats good to know, especially since I suggested a rebuild of the
database as one way to attempt to recover Randall's tags.  I now retract
that suggestion!

> Suddenly losing the tags could happen if the server appears to be
> supporting IMAP keywords, but for some reason doesn't really handle
> them properly. It could also happen if the server does not support
> IMAP keywords at all, but happens to change the UIDVALIDITY for
> mailboxes. An example of this would be Exchange IMAP.
>
> (In both of these cases, there are workarounds which could be
> implemented in MailMate to make it more robust.)

In cases where MM can detect servers that don't support persisting IMAP
keywords, it would sure be useful if that could be indicated to the user
in some form.  I know for a fact our corporate IMAP server doesn't
support them, but for my other accounts I'm not sure.

-Eric