[MlMt] Second attachments folder

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Jan 6 22:47:36 EST 2019

On 6 Jan 2019, at 8:57, Tobias Jung wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’ve been working with MailMate for almost a year now…
> and yesterday, I saw something I wasn’t aware of before. *blush*
>
> In MailMate’s preferences I’ve set the "Default Downloads Folder"
> ~/Attachments-MailMate/

That is where MM will save attachments that you explicitly save.

> And yesterday, I saw that there’s *another* folder which contained
> almost all the attachments I’ve received, namely
> ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Attachments
>
> I searched the manual for this, but if it’s explained somewhere, I
> didn’t find it.

I believe that Benny has explained it here but5 I think you're correct:
it's not really documented.

> So I tested a bit and my conclusion are:
>
> – The attachments are saved to the folder in the Library when you
> hit the "QuickLook" button in the message to display a attachment.
> – They are deleted again from this folder when you delete the
> message that contained the attachment.
>
> Are the conclusions correct?

I believe so and that is my recollection of Benny's discussion of the
Attachments folder.

> Are there any other circumstances under which the attachments get
> deleted from the folder in the Library?

I think not, but I could be wrong.

> Can it have any negative side effects if I deleted files from that
> folder manually?

I certainly hope not. If it does, I am likely to be the metaphorical
canary in the coal mine... I have deleted many files out of Attachments
over ~5 years and have seen no problems that I can associate to that
practice.

> Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about anything, I just
> like to understand what’s going on on my harddisk. ;-)
> Moreover, since the attachments are stored in the message (.eml) file
> anyway, I don’t see why they should take up space on my disk another
> time, so from time to time I might remove them from the Library IF
> this doesn’t cause any trouble and of they aren’t purged from that
> folder automatically at some point anyway (i.e. even if I don’t
> delete the message itself).

That's what I do. I've seen no trouble and no indication that MM ever
purges Attachments.