[MlMt] Flagging potentially fake email addresses

Kee Hinckley kee at hinckley.com
Wed Feb 13 22:34:59 EST 2019

Academia is all a fake of having recommendations from the right people. If the department chair asks a grad student for a favor, you’re likely to jump at the opportunity. Also, the first email was super specific, which would cause some people to suspend disbelief later. This isn’t a typical syntax screwed up scam message:

 I am in a meeting right now working on the study of the development of children of same-sex couples, based on data from the US Census. That is why I am contacting you through mail. I should have called you, but calls are restricted during the meeting. I don't know when the meeting will be rounding up, And i want you to help me out on something very important right away.

Yes. If you stop to think about it, it’s got a few problems. But lots of people don’t stop to think when the guy holding their budget strings asks for a quick favor.

I’ve sense heard of lots of other variations of this. All managed to pull in multiple people who responded. Organizations don’t tend to reward questioning your boss.