[MlMt] Links to email messages

John Cooper mailmate at coopercontent.com
Fri Feb 1 10:00:20 EST 2019

Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote (at 6:30 on 1 Feb 2019):

> Everyone uses web links and usually we would never consider copying
> the information on a web page. We just use the link (even when we know
> that it could disappear some day).

Perfect analogy! The main difference between web links and message links
is that we (well, I) use web links mostly for sharing information with
other people, whereas message links won't work for sharing except in the
special cases that you list elsewhere in your message. (You could think
of a bookmark as a web link, of course, making them the one major way in
which web links are used for personal use.)

> Coincidentally, I was recently introduced to a utility which offers to
> make more/all types of resources “linkable”. Essentially you can
> take any document/page in any application and link it to any other
> document/page and/or create a link referencing it (including making a
> Markdown link). It's kind of like creating your own private
> internet/web of resources. The idea is that if you, for example, view
> an email in MailMate then you can quickly see if you have any other
> resources linked to it (web-pages, support ticket, github issue, etc.)
> -- and vice versa. It has not quite become part of my workflow yet,
> but I like the concept. Its name is “Hook” and there is a public
> beta available [here](https://hookproductivity.com) if anyone is
> interested.

This looks like a fascinating utility. I like their page about MailMate
and I look forward to digging deeper. Thanks for the reference and for
the considered response to my question.