[MlMt] Newline rendering in plaintext messages

Galen Menzel galen.menzel at utexas.edu
Wed Apr 3 13:08:05 EDT 2019

Hi all,

I use MailMate r5625 on two computers. On one machine, plaintext
messages render as expected, with the body of the message being a
literal rendering of the message. For example, here is a plaintext email
that I received, with linebreaks are displayed faithfully, as expected:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ksQ2N3fHa24r9MJvFbilucCyrDnC666p/view?usp=sharing

However, the same message on the other machine does some funny line
wrapping with this message:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IOCwDflTA4D7wr_cuX7QHdPe5jhy3Iqm/view?usp=sharing

As far as I can tell, the preferences on these two machines are the
same, and they are using the same stylesheet files (which specify
pre-wrap for plain text).

Looking at the HTML source on both machines, I see that on the first
(correctly displayed) message, each line of the plaintext email is in
its own `<div>` element, whereas in the second, each *paragraph* has its
own `<div>` element (except for the bulleted lists), so the issue seems
to be upstream of the html styling.

Where does MailMate determine how to parcel up plaintext messages into
its respective `<div>` elements? I’d very much prefer to view
plaintext messages exactly as they were sent.

Thanks!

Best,

Galen