[MlMt] question about Message-ID based threading

Thu Sep 6 03:24:33 EDT 2018

On 3 Sep 2018, at 15:11, Peter van Dijk wrote:

> when one of my coworkers makes a new calendar appointment, I get an
> email with headers like this:

> Subject: New appointment: ...

Ok, the `Message-ID` header is fine, but it makes little sense that it
refers to non-existing messages. I wonder if that serves any purpose at
all...

> Then when somebody accepts, declines, etc., I get an email with
> headers like this:

> Subject: Appointment changed: ...

Again, the `Message-ID` is fine. The only requirement is that two
different messages should never have the same `Message-ID`.

> Several mail clients tie these two messages together into a thread,
> but MailMate does not. Is this configurable? Is this a bug?

It's not a bug. MailMate threading is based on the headers above and the
non-existing root messages means that MailMate cannot display these
messages as children of the same message.

It's also not configurable, but that's something which is still not on
my list. Usually, other email clients would group emails based on the
subject, but in this case that appears to not be sufficient. In this
case they should be grouped because they refer to the same non-existing
message (which I still think is weird). I'll make a note of this special
case.

> To be clear, there is no actual message with the ID referred to in
> In-Reply-To and References.

I would claim that is a bug, but that's not something I can do anything
about (other than trying to work around it when threading is more
flexible).