[MlMt] expiring deleted and sent

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Oct 8 13:28:22 EDT 2018

On 8 Oct 2018, at 11:55, Randy Bush wrote:

> excuse me for being a bit slow but

>>> so when does it run this?
>>
>> The *RULE* is run when a message is "added" to the Smart Mailbox,
>> i.e. when a message in the source mailboxes meets the Smart Mailbox
>> conditions.
>
> so if i try to add a message which is older than 30 days to the
> mailbox
> it will be deleted.  not a very common circumstance. :)

You snipped the (probably badly worded) relevant bit:

>> How exactly MM notices the "addition" of messages to a Smart Mailbox
>> isn't 100% clear, but I *think* it is triggered by appearance of new
>> messages in IMAP mailboxes or changes in the metadata of existing
>> messages that either MM does itself or is alerted to by the IMAP
>> server during a sync operation.

A user NEVER directly adds a message to a Smart Mailbox. The combined
criteria of the Source Mailboxes plus the Conditions add messages to a
Smart Mailbox.

How exactly MM notices that "addition" in the case of a Date criterium
(i.e. the absolute Date does not actually change) I am not sure, but I
know from having a mailbox working this way that MM definitely does
notice the "addition" and does run the rule.