[MlMt] expiring deleted and sent

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Oct 8 09:28:14 EDT 2018

On 8 Oct 2018, at 0:40, Randy Bush wrote:

>>> so, with the new hidden pref(s), anyone have a recipe for hard
>>> expunging sent and trashed messages> say 30 days?
>>
>> 2 different Smart Mailbox approaches:
>>   1. Mailboxes: Any of Sent, Trash;
>>      Conditions: Date is not within last 30 days;
>>      Rule: Conditions=[just exempting conditions]
>>            Action=Delete Permanently
>
> so when does it run this?

The *RULE* is run when a message is "added" to the Smart Mailbox, i.e.
when a message in the source mailboxes meets the Smart Mailbox
conditions.

How exactly MM notices the "addition" of messages to a Smart Mailbox
isn't 100% clear, but I *think* it is triggered by appearance of new
messages in IMAP mailboxes or changes in the metadata of existing
messages that either MM does itself or is alerted to by the IMAP server
during a sync operation.