[MlMt] Reducing the size on disk?

Paul Hoffman phoffman at proper.com
Mon Oct 1 13:13:25 EDT 2018

On 24 Sep 2018, at 2:50, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2018, at 19:07, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Greetings. In Application Support, my Database.noindex is 3.7G
>
> This is surprisingly large compared to your Messages folder, but let's
> focus on the latter first.
>
>> and my Messages folder is 7.8G. That is possibly true, but seems
>> awfully large when I look at the mail I have.
>>
>> Is there possibly some recoverable space in there? Is there a way to
>> "vacuum" free space? Or am I just a hoarder?
>
> The Messages folder is almost exactly the total size of all of your
> emails. You can select “All Messages”, enable the “Size”
> column, and then click on it to sort by size. This should reveal if
> you have a small set of emails taking up a lot of space. (Since “All
> Messages” doesn't include “Deleted Messages” and “Junk” then
> you might also want to check these mailboxes.)

Nothing huge in "All Messages". The sum of all the messages that are >1M
is barely 1G.

It is possible that Database.noindex is not shrinking when I delete
messages? My work pattern is to not delete Junk automatically, but every
three months I delete the oldest three months of Junk, then "Empty
Deleted Messages".

--Paul Hoffman