[MlMt] Ghost mailboxes

Sat May 26 04:51:03 EDT 2018

On 25 May 2018, at 21:29, Randall Gellens wrote:

> Thanks to Bill's suggestion that the culprit was the subscription
> list, since I didn't believe that to be the case, I modified the
> accounts on my IMAP server to permit plain text authentication, SSHed
> in to the server system, and used telnet to login to the accounts and
> poke around.  The ghost mailboxes did exist, and when I tried to
> DELETE them, the IMAP server replied with "NO mailbox is in use, or
> folder is not empty".  Since I knew the ghost mailboxes were empty and
> verified that they were by SELECTing them, I figured they were busy
> perhaps due to a bug on the server, so I restarted the server,
> relogged in, and this time I could DELETE them.
>
> So, sorry to assume it was a bug in MailMate that was the culprit.
> However, it might be good if when MM encounters an error deleting a
> mailbox, it says something (I couldn't see anything in the activity
> window, and there was no error reported in the UI).

For what it's worth I tried putting your example mailboxes into my own
mailboxes list for one of my accounts and this cleared up when
synchronizing the account. In other words, the problem was very likely
related to the unexpected NO responses from your server. I'll note to
test what happens in this case and see if the response can be improved.