[MlMt] Ghost mailboxes

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri May 25 14:27:09 EDT 2018

On 25 May 2018, at 12:55, Randall Gellens wrote:

>> You can use the GUI. Right-click the IMAP account -> "Edit IMAP
>> Account..." -> "Edit Subscriptions..." and uncheck the phantom
>> mailbox.
>

> I don't see "Edit Subscriptions" under "Edit IMAP Account".  There's a
> pane to fill in the server info, account info, etc.

Yes, and a button in the IMAP section.

See attached image...

>> The root causes of this are that most IMAP servers don't sanity-check
>> the "subscriptions" list against the actual list of mailboxes and
>> that all MUAs for an account share a common subscription list, so
>> they tend to avoid exerting automatic arbitrary control over it.
>

> I guessed that perhaps MM doesn't refresh the mailbox list after
> deleting a mailbox.

Yes, after a fashion.

The issue is that there isn't One True Mailbox List, and MM does not
propagate the changes that it makes to the list of all available
mailboxes (by deleting a mailbox on the server) to the list of mailboxes
that are "subscribed" and as a consequence get synchronized by MM and
displayed to the user.