[MlMt] Why do my UIUD tags keep getting

Mon Mar 26 03:45:25 EDT 2018

On 26 Mar 2018, at 0:44, Roger Bohn wrote:

> Today I am getting a message about needing to resynchronize ALL my
> mailboxes with the server. MM is marching through them all, in
> alphabetical order. This is the third time this has happened in about
> 3 months. What could possibly be causing this?

For some reason the server changes the “identity” of the mailboxes
(the UIDVALIDITY values). MailMate has no other option than to forget
what it knows about the mailboxes and refetch emails. The problem is
that what MailMate knows as, for example, message number 42 might no
longer be message number 42. If MailMate doesn't resynchronize then if
you delete message 42 then a different message might be deleted on the
server. This would naturally be a very serious problem.

MailMate *could* try to work around the problem by being smarter in the
resynchronization process (trying to re-map emails by only getting a
subset of email headers and/or message size). But this is non-trivial
and I doubt any email clients do that.

> The server is listed as:
> outlook.office365.com

> The warning message says “If this happens often then you should
> investigate the issue.” How do I investigate?

This means contacting the IMAP server provider to let them know that
there is a serious (performance) problem. In this case though it might
not matter much. I doubt that they are unaware that the problem exists.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. If you want to make 100%
sure this is an IMAP issue (and not MailMate) then make a copy of the
following file:

	/Users/<username>/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Messages/IMAP/<account>/State.plist

After the next time you see the issue then copy it again and send me
both files. Then I'll make sure that the UIDVALIDITY values really
changed.