[MlMt] Default expunge?

Thu Mar 22 08:47:05 EDT 2018

On 19 Mar 2018, at 18:03, Randall Gellens wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2018, at 3:07, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> If you still think MailMate is deleting the messages then we can
>> debug the problem off list.
>
> I’ll have to look into it more, to see if the messages really are
> there or not, and if not, if they should be (have to compare based on
> when I converted to MailMate).

If you are able to reproduce the problem then we can create a set of
logs which should reveal if MailMate is telling the server to expunge
the emails.

> Have you considered a setting to expunge deleted messages after some
> amount of time or some other criteria?

Yes, but I haven't implemented anything to support this. (Other than
smart mailboxes which can be used to do this.)

> (Eudora had a setting to keep deleted messages in the mailbox but
> hidden unless requested to see them, and had a setting to expunge
> based on the percent of messages in a mailbox that are deleted, which
> I mention only as an example of alternatives to time-based expunge.)

That's an interesting variation. Maybe I like it best if it is a maximum
percentage for which the oldest emails are always expunged. That way you
don't risk that the most recently deleted message is expunged
immediately because the limit was reached.

> What is the recommended way to get rid of old deleted messages

Just moving to “Deleted Messages” and perhaps empty the mailbox
(there's a menu item for this) if server space is an issue.