[MlMt] Ghost messages in message list pane

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Tue Mar 20 18:42:01 EDT 2018

On 10 Mar 2018, at 13:59, Eric Sharakan wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2018, at 4:25, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On 6 Mar 2018, at 14:20, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>>
>>> This is an odd one.  Running r5460, every once in a while when
>>> switching mailboxes, a message from the swtiched-away-from mailbox
>>> remains in the message list pane of the new mailbox, alongside the
>>> messages from the new mailbox.  If I subsequently switch away from,
>>> then back to the new mailbox, the phantom message is gone.
>>>
>>> I wish I had more detail to report.  I've seen this about three time
>>> over the last week to so.  I have never tried to select that phantom
>>> message.  The most recent time (just now), I was switching from a
>>> submailbox of a smart mailbox in one account to a submailbox of a
>>> smart mailbox in a different account.
>>>
>>> Is there any more information I can capture the next time I see this
>>> to help debug it?
>>
>> You can enable the “Source Mailbox” column in the message list to
>> make sure you know where the message is really located.  There's 1
>> known issue which could be related to this, but you are welcome to
>> describe an order of events to recreate it if possible.  I'll then
>> test that as well when fixing the other issue.
>
> Okay I've turned on the Source Mailbox column.  I'll see if I can give
> you a better recipe the next time I see it.

This ("ghost" message gets dragged in) happens to me all the time,
Benny.  Drives me crazy.  (And it's still in r5462.)

But the cure is worse than the disease!  I did a Search recently and
didn't know which Mailbox the results were in.  So I turned on Source
Mailbox in the Search results.  Big mistake.  Now all of my Mailbox
folders are infected with Source Mailbox disease!  That column shows up
in every Mailbox folder now.  I didn't ask for this.

It takes up valuable space (and is completely unnecessary when you are
in a Mailbox) and I can't get it to go away now.  I control-click in the
"Date Received" column, un-check "Source Mailbox" and it temporarily
goes away (but only temporarily).  I even control-clicked and selected
"Use as Default Columns" (after "Source Mailbox" is gone/unchecked) and
yet ... it still keeps coming back!

Is there some config file or XML file someplace where I can find this
Source Mailbox enabled-by-default setting and disable it??  I looked in
~/Library/Preferences/com.freron.MailMate.plist but didn't see anything
relevant.

		- Greg