[MlMt] Tags in r5460

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Mar 6 14:52:09 EST 2018

On 5 Mar 2018, at 11:35, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> MailMate has an auto-create feature to easily create new tags (which
> is triggered when entering an unknown tag name). It shows a
> “warning” sheet the first time which can then be suppressed if the
> user tells it to do so.

It may be informative to look at the formal syntax definition for IMAP
at https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501#section-9 and especially take
note of these snippets:

         (1) Except as noted otherwise, all alphabetic characters
         are case-insensitive.  The use of upper or lower case
         characters to define token strings is for editorial clarity
         only.  Implementations MUST accept these strings in a
         case-insensitive fashion.

[...]
     atom            = 1*ATOM-CHAR

     ATOM-CHAR       = <any CHAR except atom-specials>

     atom-specials   = "(" / ")" / "{" / SP / CTL / list-wildcards /
                   quoted-specials / resp-specials

     flag            = "\Answered" / "\Flagged" / "\Deleted" /
                   "\Seen" / "\Draft" / flag-keyword / flag-extension
                     ; Does not include "\Recent"

     flag-keyword    = atom

I believe this means that IMAP keywords are case-insensitive. Thus if
you have 2 MM Tags that differ only in case and they are mapped to IMAP
keywords that differ only in case, you could run into trouble if you try
to use both in one IMAP mailbox. The behavior of a server when told to
create a new keyword differing only in case from an existing keyword in
a particular mailbox is undefined.