[MlMt] How to edit recipients

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Mon Mar 5 11:48:48 EST 2018

--Randall

On 5 Mar 2018, at 8:17, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

>>> The problem is that it would be very annoying when it fails. Then
>>> the user has to manually edit the header to get it right.
>>
>> No, the user can ignore it, because it likely won’t be any worse
>> than doing nothing.
>
> If MailMate reorders something wrongly and then puts that in an
> outgoing message then I think it's worse than doing nothing. But
> again, if we are only talking about how MailMate displays names then
> it's not a problem. Only the user of MailMate is affected when/if it
> fails.

>>> Ah, displaying recipients is a different story. I was mainly
>>> thinking of composing messages. In this case, it would be ok if it
>>> fails some times.
>>
>> Yes, exactly, although Eudora also used the modified form when
>> sending replies, which was nice.
>
> I wouldn't be comfortable with that unless the user has verified it,
> e.g., by adding the correspondent to the address book (Contacts).

I think if the modified name was the result of a user-set regex, and
showed in the composition window for replies, then perhaps a way to
visually indicate in the composition window that the name was modified
with a way to revert, would be more than sufficient.

>>> I don't have time right now, but I could probably make a custom file
>>> for you which would replace the default “To” column with a
>>> “Last, First” variant.
>>
>> I wonder if an option to have a regex for name alteration might be a
>> workable approach?  Leave it to the user to devise a good regex.
>
> That's kind of how it already works. It's low-level though, both how
> to redefine a message list column and how to change the regex for
> finding first/last name. Would you like me to describe how this is
> done? (You might prefer to just hope that it'll be easier to customize
> some day.)

It’s not just the column display in the mailbox, but also the message
display when viewing a message.  But, yes, if that can be modified, that
would be helpful.