[MlMt] discussion topic: IMAP or smart mailbox?

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Fri Jun 15 06:42:06 EDT 2018

On 2018-06-14 22:25:48 (+0200), Peter Borsella wrote:
> I currently have hundreds of IMAP folders.  Now that I have MailMate
> I’m wondering, is it better to create IMAP folders, or, better to
> create smart mailboxes every time I need a new collection of emails?

As others have pointed out: "it depends".

One more data point to keep in mind is that historically, very
complicated smart folder rules have sometimes been a little slow.
Though Benny invariably manages to make them fast as soon as someone
points it out on the mailing list and supplies enough debugging
information.

I have Sieve do the sorting into IMAP folders on the server and use
MailMate smart folders to show me the relevant messages from several
folders combined (e.g.: mailing lists I care about, active threads in
mailboxes that are not inboxes, etc).

This is the best of both worlds for my workload.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer