[MlMt] discussion topic: IMAP or smart mailbox?

Randall Meadows randy.meadows at not-pc.com
Thu Jun 14 17:29:32 EDT 2018

On 14 Jun 2018, at 14:25, Peter Borsella wrote:

> I currently have hundreds of IMAP folders.  Now that I have MailMate
> I’m wondering, is it better to create IMAP folders, or, better to
> create smart mailboxes every time I need a new collection of emails?

I don't know if it's endemic to IMAP, or just the server that DreamHost
uses, but they (DH) explicitly move messages out of INBOX after ___ days
(into an archived messages mailbox, I think this is configurable, as is
the number of days), for performance reasons (they claim that lots of
messages in INBOX slows things down).  Perhaps it might depend on your
provider?