[MlMt] Attachments

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Thu Jul 19 18:01:58 EDT 2018

On 17 Jul 2018, at 1:30, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 16 Jul 2018, at 20:54, Randall Gellens wrote:
>
>> But there were two things it did that I found quite handy: there was
>> a table of contents column that indicated if a message had
>> attachments or not.
>
> You can enable such a column in the message list.

Thank you, I never noticed that before, sorry!  Is there a way to enable
this by default for all mailboxes?

>> The other thing it did was if you clicked on that column of a message
>> with one or more attachments, it popped up a context menu listing
>> them; clicking on one opened it.
>
> I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you.

>> The other thing I'd like to suggest is a way to drag an attachment
>> from one draft to another.  Or, an option so that if the front-most
>> window happens to be a draft message and I ask an external program to
>> send something via MM, have it go into that draft instead of a new
>> one.  (If the front-most window isn't a draft, but anything else.
>> have it go into a new draft as currently.)
>
> A new attachments GUI would most likely make dragging work much
> better. I'll consider the “add to existing draft” idea, but it'll
> have to wait until after attachments are displayed in a different way.
> Right now, it's very easy to overlook if something has been attached
> to a draft (one of the many issues I'd like to resolve).
>
> (Make sure you are aware that dragging a file into the main text field
> of the composer attaches the file. This is most often easier than
> using the “Attach Files..” interface. Copying/pasting files should
> also work.)

Yes, and I use both, but in the case where the file is hard to find
(being in a temporary printing subdirectory, for example) or the
contents not yet saved anywhere, it's often much easier to initiate the
attachment from the external app (that is, from the app that has the
content, which is not MailMate).  Doing that is very quick and easy,
with the only drawback that it always goes into a new draft, and then I
can't get at it.  If instead it went to either (1) the top-most window
if and only if it is a composition window; or (2) a new draft, I think
it would be perfect.  Being able to drag from one draft window to
another would be another approach, a bit more work, but more general.